- To ensure the development of an appropriate and balanced regulatory framework for the marketing of sport nutrition products
- To inform Members of legislative developments and provide regulatory advice to ensure compliance
- To promote reputable sport nutrition brands in the media
- To address the issue of non-compliant products tarnishing the reputation of the sector
- To promote initiatives and campaigns to inform consumers of the benefits of regular physical activity, healthier diets and responsible use of sport nutrition products.
- To support continued independent scientific research into sport nutrition and into issues relating to quality and safety;
ESSNA cooperates actively with the European Institutions and Agencies, national governments, trade bodies, consumer organisations, leading scientists and the media to ensure the fulfilment of its missions.
The European Specialist Sport Nutrition Alliance is the trade association representing the interests of the sport nutrition sector across the European Union. Our members are big international companies, smaller specialist brands, suppliers of ingredients, sport nutrition publications, as well as national associations.
ESSNA was created in 2003 to campaign for appropriate European legislation on sports nutrition products. Today ESSNA is a mature and respected organisation, widely recognised by legislators and the mainstream media as the voice of the responsible specialist sports nutrition sector in Europe.
ESSNA works actively with policy-makers, regulatory authorities and the media to defend the reputation of the market across the continent, and to promote positive messages about responsible sport nutrition products.
The Officers define ESSNA’s vision, policies and priorities taking into account advice from the Secretariat and according to an action plan agreed by the membership. It also supervises ESSNA’s day to day activities.
Dr Adam Carey, Corperformance
Mark Gilbert, Tropicana Health and Fitness Limited
Claudia Mucciardi, Glanbia Nutritionals (UK)
Terence O’Rorke, NSF
Luca Bucchini, Vitamin Centre
ESSNA holds full meetings four to five times a year. All Members must approve the annual accounts, adopt the action plan and establishes internal rules of procedure. A full list of ESSNA’s members can be found here.
All ESSNA’s members abide by its Code of Conduct, which can be accessed here.
ESSNA’s secretariat provides policy and regulatory advice to the organisation on all issues affecting the sport nutrition sector. It drafts a report of outlining main developments and actions in advance of each Members meeting.
The Secretariat is also responsible for delivering ESSNA’s day to day activity. It maintains close contacts with key policy makers, regulatory authorities and the media.
The Permanent Secretariat comprises:
- Chris Whitehouse
- Katarzyna Wilk
- Samuel Blainey
- Viviana Spaghetti
- Sabrina Huck
- Chenoa Geerts
- Mayar Raouf